I think it's safe to say that most people dislike brussel sprouts... you know, when they've been steamed and taste like bitter baby cabbages (the taste comes from an organic sulfur compound). I have hated them my entire life, I never understood why people ate them. But then I experienced the mouthwatering roasted brussel sprout. That's right - I *now* LOVE BRUSSEL SPROUTS!!
Brussel Sprouts are indeed related to cabbage, they are high is Vitamin C and Vitamin K, as well as B Vitamins like Folic Acid and Vitamin B6.
This is a great side dish or snack, and an easy way for adults and children to enjoy eating brussel sprouts.
Roasted Brussel Sprouts + Bacon
20 minutes, 4 servings
- 1 bag of brussel sprouts
- 4 strips of uncooked bacon
- olive oil
- black pepper
- Rinse the brussel sprouts, chop off the stalk ends, cut into quarters
- Spread the brussel sprouts onto a baking pan, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper - mix them around a bit
- Chop uncooked bacon into bite sizes, mix in with the brussel sprouts
- Broil in the oven for 5 minutes, pull them out, remix with a spoon, return to oven for another 10 minutes or until they've reached desired char
- Allow to cool for a couple minutes before devouring